A seven-night yoga and surfing retreat near Sunzal, El Salvador
$1,250 USD per person (based on shared occupancy)
- seven nights in ocean-view, shared accommodations
- healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner at your villa
- snacks and non-alcoholic beverages included, plus beer or wine with dinner
- daily yoga classes of different styles
- daily use of high-quality surfboard
- surf lessons on a nearby beach, perfect for skill building
- two guided surf tours to different breaks in the area
- mountain colonial town excursion, coffee plantation, and volcanic hot springs tour (and an optional zip-line tour)
- waterfall hike and swim
- hike to saltwater pools
- night out on the town
- Dropbox access to retreat and surf photos
- relaxing Swedish or deep tissue massages
- unlimited use of the amenities (pool, beach, yoga deck, etc.)
- unlimited filtered water refills
Seasonally, the waves in El Salvador are consistent. December to February usually runs 2-4 feet with a week or two of larger waves. This is the ideal season for beginners. March to May and October to November is generally 3-5 feet with a few weeks of larger surf. It is a good time for both beginners and intermediates. June-September the waves can be very large and are more weather dependent as it is the rainy season.
This retreat is a surf-at-your-own-risk event. As we cannot predict weather and wave conditions, we will work with the group to ensure new optional activities are available in the event the surf is not cooperating. Although we do our best to get you to the right waves for your ability, there may be a period of the retreat that the waves becomes too sizable or the surf guide deems out of the surfer’s skill ability. In such a case, the surfer will be notified and must comply for the safety of themselves and others.
We host retreats at different venues close to El Tunco, as well as villas nearby. One Wave Surf House in El Sunzal is a beautiful ocean-view villa in a private community overlooking a famous surf break. Villa del Olas is an ocean-front villa located inside the Atami private beach community near the beaches of Palmarcito and El Zonte. Both of our villas offer many luxurious features:
- daily maid service
- full kitchen and unlimited filtered water
- ocean-view yoga and siesta deck with hammocks
- private swimming pool (Villa del Olas also provides access to the community salt-water pools near the villa)
- 24-hour gated security
- WiFi Internet service
The villas are located in secure, gated communities. Items of value are safe in the house. Passports and additional money can be stored in a safe.
Private transportation is included throughout the trip for all scheduled trips. Airport transportation from San Salvador Airport (SAL) to the retreat location can be arranged through El Salvador Retreats for $40 one-way or $70 round-trip. Please notify us if making other arrangements.
Rooms will be shared based on double to triple occupancy. If you are coming as a solo traveler expect to share a room or indicate you would rather pay single person occupancy supplement of $650.
Our locations are 1 hour from the airport and 1 hour from San Salvador.
Check-in is after 3pm and check-out by 11. There is often opportunity to come or leave a day earlier / later, please ask us if you want to extend your trip at an additional cost. Alternatively, we can recommend guest houses nearby.
|5:00 AM||coffee and snacks|
|6:00 AM||surf excursion, sleep in, or free time|
|10:00 AM||free-time or surf excursion|
|3:00 PM||waterfall hike, free time, or coffee farm excursion|
|5:00 PM||Yoga class|
|7:00 PM||dinner at the villa|
|8:00 PM||free time or trip into town|
|9:00 PM||quiet time|
We are lucky to have several experienced international yoga teachers living close to Sunzal to deliver high quality yoga classes at our retreats. Each teaches their own distinct style of yoga, blended from years of teaching in the USA, UK, El Salvador, Brazil, Ireland and India. Learn more about our teachers…
We like to use local surf instructors as much as possible — this is their beach! We’ll offer translation or English-speaking instructors that will teach you all they know about these amazing surf breaks.
Our lead surf instructor is Tyler Trafas, the founder and manager of El Salvador Retreats and One Wave Surf School in Los Angeles, California. Tyler will advise you about the best surf spots for current conditions and your skill level, as well as how to elevate your surfing technique.
We keep it healthy, fresh, and delicious to power your yoga and surf retreat experience.
Your retreat includes 3 daily meals and snacks, prepared by our staff and chefs:
- morning snacks & coffee
- hot and healthy breakfast
- fresh fruit, smoothies, and delicious cold-lunch fixings
- gourmet and local-fare dinners
- one fresh coconut water (seasonal), unlimited non–alcoholic beverages, and filtered water
- beer and wine at dinner
- *cocktails and other drinks by request
Our meals are omnivorous, but we are happy to accommodate alternative dietary requirements (vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free). Please communicate food preferences or allergies when you book.
Breakfast is be prepared after the morning surf session or prior to the day’s excursion. Fresh fruit, smoothies, and lunch fixings are prepped at the house to be readily enjoyed by guests at their individual convenience. Dinners are cooked daily at the house, except for an optional sunset dinner at a local restaurant. El Salvador is known for pupusas (like a stuffed tortilla filled with meat, cheese, and vegetables). The house staff prepares fresh pupusas for dinner 1-2 nights. Pupusas are served with gourmet sides and toppings.
Some of the other meals often prepared or catered at the house are:
- Yoga protein salad
- Thai curries
- freshly-grilled Snapper and Ahi fish tacos.
- four varieties of seafood ceviche, including a tofu/chickpea option
- rotisserie chicken, locally-grown sweet potatoes and salads
- French-style surf-and-turf with coconut risotto and grilled vegetables
- wood-fired pizzas, pasta, and garlic bread
- handmade tamales and chili rellenos with rice, beans, and salad
- burritos: fish, steak, chicken, and veggie
All non–alcoholic beverages are provided. Two beers per day or a ½ bottle of wine is also included. Guests that wish to consume more than the daily provision of alcoholic beverages provided are responsible for the additional cost of ingredients and alcohol. Please keep in mind: this is a very healthy and active retreat. It’s not a poolside cocktail-fest in Cancun. If you drink too much, you will miss out on fun stuff.
Unlimited filtered water and ice are provided. The tap water is not safe for consumption. Don’t even brush your teeth with it.
In addition to your yoga classes, surfing excursions and a complimentary massage, we also be offer optional local excursions (although you may choose to stay at the villa and keep relaxing by the pool):
- colonial town visit, coffee plantation / volcanic hot springs tour — not only is this really interesting, it’s deliciously cool up in the mountains
- refreshing waterfall hike and swimming excursion (jumping optional!)
- one night during the retreat, we give guests the option to pop into town to experience the El Tunco vibe (food & drink consumed here will not be included as part of your package)
- daily yoga classes (Yoga mat included)
- surf session (or lessons) in front of the villa on a private beach (perfect for skill building) and 2 guided surf tours to one of the local surf breaks. Weather permitting, surf lessons and surf trips are on alternate days of inland excursions
- daily use of high-quality surfboard
- two yoga classes with yoga mats included
- one massage per person (additional massages can be arranged at a cost of $50 USD per massage, per person)
- breakfast, lunch and dinner daily and daily snacks
- seven nights accommodations
- unlimited use of the amenities (pool, private beach, hammock/yoga deck)
- unlimited water refills all day
- unlimited non-alcoholic beverages and limited alcoholic beverages
- one fresh coconut per day
- full-day mountain tour, including colonial town visit, coffee plantation or volcanic hot springs tour (Zip-line optional)
- half-day waterfall hike and swim
- hike to saltwater pools, local markets tour or night out on the town
- limited WiFi for email and general Internet browsing (no streaming or large downloads). There is fast, unlimited access at the Atami Club a short walk away
- Private transportation is included throughout the retreat for all scheduled trips
- additional excursions such as optional zip line tours ($40 USD)
- additional private surf lessons
- additional massages
- food or drink outside of the villa or organized tours
- surf coaching and video review ($50 USD per day)
- private yoga sessions ($50 USE per day)
- travel insurance (highly recommended): Surfing is an extreme sport and accidents can happen
- damage to surf boards (beyond minor dings): local repair cost (up to $20 USD). A replacement fee is charged for broken surfboards, equal to the value of the board plus $100 USD for shipping costs. Reimbursement is required prior to the end of a retreat. NOTE: many travel insurance companies will cover the cost of broken or stolen equipment, including surfboards
- insect repellent, sun-screen & surf hats. If you’re susceptible to the sun, please come prepared with sufficient sun protection
- personal laundry ($5 USD per load)
- high-bandwidth Internet (streaming / large downloads)
- specialty food items or off-site meals
- Atami Club access for high-speed Internet ($5 USD minimum food/drink purchased at the club)
- airport transport on arrival and departure
San Salvador is easily accessible from many USA cities. Both United Airlines and Spirit Airlines offer multiple flights per week from various destinations. Airport transfers to and from El Salvador International Airport (SAL) are included within your package.
Please let us know if you’d like to extend your stay or combine with travel to other destinations in El Salvador or other Central-American countries. We’ll do our best to advise you about key activities. Check out our Experiences for inspiration about the local area and other surf spots.